Unit 5 : Seasons Activities ESL Kids Lesson
Unit 5: Seasons & Activities
- To teach ESL/EFL young learners the names of the four seasons and related vocabulary and expressions on seasons in this ESL kids lesson.
- To build vocabulary by associating different seasons with different weather conditions, common activities and related words.
Main Lesson Materials & Study Steps
It’s a snowy day in ‘Freddie’s Ville’ and Freddie and Lisa are out making a snowman. The setting leads to a conversation on different seasons and their preferred season. Lisa dives into the snow and it reminds Freddie of when she dives into the leaves in fall.
|hot & sunny|
|Swimming by the beach|
|building sand castles|
Seasons Weather Talk
- In winter, it is snowy and cold.
- In spring, it is rainy and warm.
- In summer, it is hot and sunny outside.
- In fall, it is cool.
- In winter, we can go skiing on the snow.
- In spring, we can pick flowers outside.
- In summer, we can go swimming by the beach.
- In fall, we can harvest pumpkins and play in the leaves.
Lisa: It’s so cold outside!
Freddie: I know. It’s because it’s snowing!
Lisa: Why does it snow, Freddie?
Freddie: When it’s really cold outside, it can snow. The rain starts to freeze in the cold.
Lisa: Is that why it doesn’t snow in the summer, Freddie?
Freddie: Yes, it only snows in the winter time.
Freddie: I love winter. I love the snow.
Lisa: I like the snow too. But I wish it wasn’t so cold!
Freddie: You like warmer weather.
Lisa: Yes. I like summer. We can go swimming in summer to cool off.
Freddie: And we can go jet skiing!
Lisa: And we can make sandcastles at the beach!
Freddie: Lisa, do you know what happens between winter and summer?
Lisa: We have spring. In spring, it’s warm.
Freddie: It’s green everywhere, too!
Lisa: That’s when the flowers grow. I like to pick the flowers.
Freddie: The flowers grow because it rains. The sun and the rain help the flowers grow from the seeds.
Freddie: That reminds me of when you jump in the leaves, Lisa!
Lisa: Oh, in fall! I love fall!
Freddie: Me too. I like how cool it is!
Lisa: Freddie, I love all of the seasons!
Lisa: I love winter because of the snow. And I love spring because of the flowers. Summer because of the swimming. And fall because of the leaves.
Freddie: There are good things about every season.