Unit 4 : Things in the House English Lesson
Unit 4: Things in the House
- Teach ESL/EFL young learners how to talk about things in a house.
- Build vocabulary by associating rooms in a house to related household items.
- Review the use of simple prepositions of place – in, on
- Learn to use ‘There is’ and ‘There are’ when referring to objects in the singular and plural.
- Learn to use different questions words (what, who, where) to ask about things, people and location of things.
- Reinforce the use of the verb ‘to be’ in the 3rd person singular and 3rd person plural when talking about objects in this English lesson.
Main Lesson Materials & Study Steps
Lisa’s friend, Jane, has come over for a visit. To make her feel at home, Lisa is giving her a tour of the house and showing her where different things are kept. She starts with the living room and later all the other rooms. Jane likes Lisa’s home a lot.
Rooms and things in the house
What’s in the living room?
- There is a TV in the living room.
- There is a sofa in the living room.
What’s in the dining room?
- There are chairs in the dining room.
- There are utensils in the kitchen.
What’s on the study room table?
- There is a computer on the table.
Who is in…?
Who’s in the study?
- Dad is in the study.
Where is…? / Where are…?
Where is the cupboard?
- It’s in the living room.
Where are your clothes?
- My clothes are in the wardrobe.
Singular versus Plural
|There is…||There are…|
Lisa: Jane, this is our living room.
Jane: I like your living room. What do you do in here?
Lisa: I like to sit on the sofa and watch TV.
Jane: Does everyone fit on the sofa?
Lisa: No. Sometimes we have to sit on the rug, or in a chair to watch TV together.
Lisa: This is our kitchen, Jane. Are you hungry?
Jane: What are you doing, Lisa?
Lisa: I am looking in the fridge for a snack.
Jane: Did you find anything?
Lisa: We can heat these in the microwave, or in the cooker.
Jane: Let’s use the microwave. It’s faster.
Lisa: I am looking in the cupboards for utensils to eat with.
Jane: Thanks, Lisa!
Jane: Where should we eat, Lisa?
Lisa: Let’s eat in the dining room. We can eat at the table.
Lisa: Do you want to see my bedroom?
Lisa: This is my bedroom. That is my bed.
Jane: I like your bed. Where are all your clothes?
Lisa: They are in my wardrobe.
Lisa: This is the bathroom. Oh, our toilet paper roll is empty. I should change it.
Jane: Oh no! I forgot my toothbrush.
Lisa: Here, I have extras. I have toothpaste too.
Lisa: This is our study. It’s where Dad works on the computer.
Jane: It’s very nice. He has a lot of books on his bookshelf.
Lisa: Yes, he likes to read.