Unit 8 – Weather Forecast – ESL Kids Lesson
Unit 8: Weather Forecast
- Teach ESL children how to understand weather forecasts and talk about weather conditions.
- The lesson also teaches ESL kids the use of future forms ‘will’ and ‘be going to do’ for talking about future occurrences.
- New words related to weather conditions will be introduced – thundering, lightning, rainstorm, warm, overcast skies
- After this lesson, students should be able to understand weather forecasts on TV.
Main Lesson Materials & Study Steps
Freddie and Bob are in their swimming trunks, about to go out. They ask Dad for permission to go swimming. Dad asks them to check the weather forecast on TV before going out. The forecast is not good as a rainstorm with lightning is not the perfect weather condition for swimming. They are happy they checked he weather forecast. They postpone going swimming for the next day with better weather conditions.
|temperatures||zero degrees (O⁰) Fahrenheit|
Future form: ‘be going to do’
- It is going to rain this evening.
- There is going to be a rainstorm this afternoon.
Future form: ‘will do’
- It will rain later in the afternoon.
- The rain will last all afternoon.
- The weather man will give us the forecast for today.
Future form: ‘will be’
- There will be light showers tomorrow morning.
- The afternoon will be mostly sunny with clear skies.
- There will probably be lightning and thundering to.
- Tomorrow will be a nice day to go swimming.
Other ways to describe weather
|· beautiful day|
|· light showers|
|· overcast skies|
|Degrees Fahrenheit||Degrees Celsius||How hot|
|100⁰ F||38⁰ C||hot|
|59⁰ F||15⁰ C||cool|
|41⁰ F||5⁰ C||cold|