Unit 1- We Visited a Zoo – ESL Lesson
Unit 1: We Visited a Zoo
- Teach ESL learners how to describe events that took place in the past
- This English lesson focuses on the use of the past simple tense.
- It also introduces the past progressive tense for talking about actions that were going on at a specific time frame in the past.
- The lesson also highlights the differences between the irregular and regular past tenses of verbs – regular past is formed by adding –ed or –d to the end of the verb.
Main Lesson Materials & Study Steps
Freddie and Lisa have just returned to the zoo where they had a lot of fun. They decide to go tell their friends, Bob and Sally. They are amused by the fact that Lisa lost her hat to a monkey at the zoo. Freddie impersonates the monkeys to help Bob and Sally visualize the event.
Adverbials of time
|Yesterday||Last week||Last month|
|Two minutes ago||Two years ago||Last winter|
Irregular Past Verbs & Sentences
|have||had||We had a good time at the zoo yesterday.|
|do||did||What did you do at the zoo yesterday?|
|see||saw||We saw the pandas.|
|go||went||We went to the zoo by car yesterday.|
Regular Past Verbs & Sentences
- The monkey reached out and grabbed Lisa’s hat.
- The monkeys played with Lisa’s hat.
- We visited the zoo last week.
Present & Past Progressive in Sentences
|· The monkey is eating a banana.||· The monkey was eating a banana.|
|· They are swinging all over the branches.||· They were swinging all over the branches.|